AVASTIN WARNING - Message from the Karmanos Cancer Center
Friday, February 08, 2013
The FDA announced earlier this week the discovery of counterfeit Avastin (bevacizumab). A few facts:
- There is at least one batch of the drug distributed by a New York company which does not contain the active ingredient in real Avastin, and is used to treat cancers of the colon, lung, kidney and brain.
- The drug was distributed by Medical Device King, which also does business as Pharmacological.
- The vials are packed as Altuzan, the Turkish version of Avastin, which is not approved for use in the U.S.
- The FDA said it unclear whether any U.S. patients have received the drug.
- Altuzan vials with the lot numbers B6022B01 and B602B01 may be counterfeit.
At the Karmanos Cancer Center, the Pharmacy obtains its medications and chemotherapy agents from reputable sources. Karmanos deals directly with the authorized local wholesaler or the manufacturer. This allows us to track this medication from the manufacturing facility to the patient and guarantee its authenticity. Karmanos DOES NOT and WILL NOT
purchase any medications through the internet or “grey market” wholesalers.
If you are a Karmanos Cancer Center patient, please feel free to contact your physician or pharmacist with additional questions or concerns.