Keep Your Rear in the Clear! Giant Walk-Through Colon on Display March 28 – 29 Promotes Colon Health
Friday, February 28, 2014
The Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute and Bayer HeathCare Pharmaceuticals are teaming up with several organizations to present Keep Your Rear in the Clear! during National Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month. A giant inflatable walk-through colon, 20-feet long and 12-feet high, will be on display at the Michigan Science Center March 28-29 to promote colorectal health in a fun and educational way. Health experts will be on hand to answer questions throughout the two-day showing.
Colorectal cancer is the third most common cancer in both men and women and the second leading cause of cancer-related deaths in the United States. The American Cancer Society estimates that more than 126,800 new cases of colorectal cancers will be diagnosed this year alone. Although incident rates have decreased slightly over the past two decades, largely attributed to colorectal cancer screenings, raising awareness of healthy lifestyles, risk factors and the importance of cancer screenings will help save lives.
Keep Your Rear in the Clear! Giant Inflatable Walk-Through Colon on Display
- Friday, March 28, from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Saturday, March 29, from 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. Ask the Doctor, noon – 1 p.m.: Hemchandra Mahaseth, M.D., colon cancer expert from the Karmanos Cancer Institute and Wayne State University will be available to answer questions.
Michigan Science Center
5020 John R
Detroit, MI 48202
To promote colorectal heath. Colon cancer is one of the most preventable cancers if caught early. This interactive display and the experts on site will help educate and provide tools to help attendees be proactive about their health.
WHAT TO YOU WILL SEE
- A giant inflatable walk-through colon, 20-feet long and 12-feet high, with educational information throughout the display is a fun way to educate people of all ages about colon health.
- Nutrition and colon cancer experts will be available during the two-day showing to answer questions and share educational materials related to healthy eating habits, the importance of exercise, knowing your family health history and risk of colorectal cancer, when to get screened for colon cancer, and more.
- A special Ask the Doctor hour on Saturday, from noon to 1 p.m., will feature Hemchandra Mahaseth, M.D., colon cancer expert from the Karmanos Cancer Institute and Wayne State University, who will answer questions related to colorectal health.
In addition to the Karmanos Cancer Institute and Bayer HealthCare Pharmaceuticals, other sponsors include: American Cancer Society; ACCESS (Arab Community Center for Economic & Social Services); CRAN (Colorectal Cancer Awareness Network); and the Detroit Community Health Connection, Inc.
Guests who purchase general admission tickets to the Michigan Science Center will have access to this special display at no additional cost.
For more information regarding the giant colon display, contact the Karmanos Cancer Institute’s Community Education at 1-800-KARMANOS (800-527-6266) or email email@example.com