When cancer strikes, your first chance is your best chance. And your best chance is at the Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Center.
Setting the Standards for Patient Care
Statistics show our patients’ survival rates as better.Many of the latest cancer-fighting medications approved by the Food and Drug Administration were available to our patients first and we have expertise in more specific types of cancer than any other cancer center in Michigan. Additionally, our patient satisfaction scores are among the top 10 percent for any cancer treatment facility in the nation.
Advancing Cancer Care
Karmanos Cancer Center is the only National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center in metro Detroit and one of just 41 centers of its kind in the United States. That means patients can access treatments exclusive to Karmanos as well as clinical trials, cancer prevention programs and multidisciplinary teams of cancer specialists — a comprehensive approach you cannot find at a community hospital. Because comprehensive cancer centers are at the forefront of cancer research, they can often handle patient cases that are more complex.
To receive the NCI designation, a hospital must demonstrate expertise in research, laboratory, clinical and population-based research. Hospitals must also provide early-phase clinical trials and conduct community outreach and educational activities.Karmanos is conducting more than 700 cancer-specific scientific investigation programs and clinical trials.
The scientific advances Karmanos researchers make every day help determine treatment options and guide treatment courses. We’re at the forefront of offering treatments that define the new standards of care. Our research programs, which are unique to Karmanos, are bringing safe, effective and groundbreaking treatments from the laboratory bench to the patient’s bedside. In fact, Karmanos offers more cancer treatments not found elsewhere in Michigan.
Karmanos is Better at Fighting Cancer
Over the course of our lifetimes, 1 in 2 men, and 1 in 3 women will receive a cancer diagnosis. Our physicians specialize in the diagnosis, evaluation and treatment of specific types of cancer. In fact, the Karmanos Cancer Center is the only hospital in Michigan focused solely on cancer. That means we’re completely devoted to offering every patient the best treatment options that lead to the best possible outcomes.
From ground-breaking research to the most up-to-date therapies and individualized treatment plans, Karmanos is truly leading the fight against cancer. We’re committed to being at the forefront of cancer treatment and offering tomorrow’s standard of care today. Because our physicians are leaders in these specialties you can be assured of having access to the most advanced therapies available.
The breadth and depth of our knowledge, experience and individual expertise, coupled with our multidisciplinary team approach, makes Karmanos uniquely qualified to offer every patient the best chance for a successful outcome, and more precious time spent with loved ones, family and friends.
What Karmanos Offers You
- State-of-the-science cancer research conducted right here in Detroit in partnership with Wayne State University’s School of Medicine
- 13 multidisciplinary teams; each team consists of cancer specialists who are focused on a particular form of cancer.
- One of the nation’s largest and most acclaimed Bone Marrow Transplant programs
- A wide range of cancer treatments including chemotherapy, radiation therapy, immunotherapy, cryotherapy and minimally-invasive surgery
- Access to more than 100 cancer fighting treatments that no other hospital can offer
- Additional care and support through art and music therapy, nutrition counseling, patient education classes, support groups and psychological counseling
- Facilities in Detroit, Farmington Hills and Monroe offering outpatient treatment services
Make an Appointment