If you’re in need of a bone marrow or stem cell transplant, it’s important to be evaluated by the experts in this field before beginning treatment. We can help.
Karmanos’ Bone Marrow & Stem Cell Transplant Specialists
Karmanos’ Bone Marrow & Stem Cell Transplant Multidisciplinary Team includes specialists in medical hematology and oncology, infectious disease, immunotherapy, pediatrics and internal medicine who bring years of experience to the field of transplantation. The team is actively involved in clinical research in bone marrow and peripheral blood stem cells transplants.
They conduct transplants featuring the most advanced medical methods using all sources of stem cells:
- Autologous - patient’s own stem cells
- Allogeneic – stem cells from a related donor or unrelated donor
- Cord blood stem cell transplantation
Members of the Bone Marrow Transplant Team have vast experience in clinical research focusing on graft-versus-host disease and immunotherapy. Many patients have the opportunity to participate in investigator-initiated and cooperative group sponsored clinical research trials at Karmanos Cancer Center.
Our partnership with the Children’s Hospital of Michigan at the Detroit Medical Center makes Karmanos an accredited center not only for the treatment of adults, but children of all ages who need bone marrow or stem cell transplants.
Karmanos maintains one of only two cord blood stem cell banks in the state of Michigan. These cord blood units are registered with the National Marrow Donor Program and are accessible to transplant centers worldwide. Cord blood transplantation is feasible in select patients without an unrelated or sibling donor. Find more information about cord blood and cord blood donation by visiting our J.P. McCarthy Cord Stem Cell Bank webpage.
Evaluation & Diagnosis
Each patient receives personal attention from the Bone Marrow & Stem Cell Transplant Multidisciplinary Team. During your initial visit, a physician will review your medical records and medical history, x-rays and pathology slides. The team meets regularly to discuss patient care issues and refine individual patient treatment plans.
Patients who benefit most from a consult with our Bone Marrow Transplant Team include those with:
- Hematologic malignancies (such as some forms of acute and chronic leukemia and lymphoma, multiple myeloma, Hodgkins lymphoma)
- Severe combined immune deficiency
- Congenital metabolic disorders
- Selected solid tumor such as testicular cancer and neuroblastoma
- Myelodysplastic syndrome
- Myeloproliferative disorders
- Aplastic Anemia
Innovative, Individualized Care
Here’s what patients can expect from our Bone Marrow & Stem Cell Transplant Multidisciplinary Team:
- A passionate, caring, expert team, giving you the best chance of success.
- A collaborative approach that considers all available treatment options, including clinical trials, for your specific type of cancer.
- A carefully constructed treatment plan designed to achieve the best possible outcome.
- Respectful, compassionate care that is responsive to your emotional needs and lifestyle.
- Proactive, timely communication with you and your loved ones, and your personal physician.
Meet Our Bone Marrow & Stem Cell Transplant Multidisciplinary Team
Voravit Ratanatharathorn, M.D., Hematology & Medical Oncology
Joseph Uberti, M.D., Ph.D., Hematology & Medical Oncology
Hematology & Medical Oncology
Muneer Abidi, M.D.
Zaid Al-Kadhimi, M.D.
Lois Ayash, M.D.
Abhinov Deol M.D.
Lawrence G. Lum, M.D., D.Sc.
Pulmonary and Critical Care
Ayman Soubani, M.D.
Pranatharthi H. Chandrasekar, M.D.
Sanjay Revankar, M.D.
Pediatric Hematology & Medical Oncology
Sureyya Savasan, M.D.
Roland Chu, M.D.
Yaddanapudi Ravindranath, M.D., MBBS
Maxim Yamkelevich, M.D.
To schedule an appointment with the Karmanos Bone Marrow & Stem Cell Transplant Team, call 1-800-KARMANOS (1-800-527-6266) or request an appointment online.
For more information on blood and bone marrow transplants, research related to these procedures and the National Marrow Donor Program, please visit the websites listed below.