As a nationally recognized leader in cancer treatment, the Karmanos Cancer Center offers a wide variety of treatment options including minimally invasive robotic surgery using the da Vinci® Si™ Surgical System.
It is considered to be among the most effective, technologically advanced surgical equipment available. The da Vinci® Si™ provides our patients and their surgeons with a state-of-the-art robotic alternative to traditional open surgery and conventional laparoscopy.
“Think of it like this: Traditional laparoscopy is like trying to tie a knot with knitting needles. Robotic-assisted surgery is more like tying a knot with your own hands,” said Michael Cher, M.D., chief of Urology at the Karmanos Cancer Center and chairman of the Department of Urology at the Wayne State University School of Medicine. “We use the robotic system to remove cancerous tissue while preserving adjacent normal blood vessels and nerves.” Watch the video.
There are 3 core features enabling surgeons to offer minimally invasive robotic surgery in a safe and efficient manner while treating the most complex patients.
- 3D/High-Definition Visualization and 10X magnification – giving surgeons unsurpassed visualization for maximum accuracy and precision.
- EndoWrist Instrumentation – providing surgeons with full range of motion (that mimics the human wrist) for superior surgical dexterity and precision.
- Intuitive Motion - surgeon’s movements are scaled and replicated precisely, while hand tremor is eliminated.
In certain procedures involving the head and neck, the surgery can be performed via incisions outside the highly visible neck region or via the mouth resulting in no external incision. For most patients, a minimally invasive approach offers substantial benefits including:
- Significantly less pain
• Significantly less blood loss
- Less risk of infection/fewer complications
- Less scarring because of smaller incision
- Shorter hospital stay and faster recovery time
- Minimization or elimination of need for chemo/radiation therapy
- A faster return to normal daily activities
- Superior cosmetic outcomes - no visible scarring or disfigurement
- Better clinical outcomes and patient satisfaction, in many cases
The da Vinci® Si™ Surgical System is used to treat a wide range of cancers including:
- Thoracic (lung)
- Urologic (kidney, bladder, prostate)
Karmanos Physicians Trained in Robotic Surgery
Of course, advanced equipment is only as good as those who use it. Karmanos physicians who are highly trained and experts in their field who use the da Vinci® Si™ Surgical System, are:
Steve Kim, M.D.
Michael L. Cher, M.D.
Steven Lucas, M.D.
Jeffrey Triest, M.D.
Robert Morris, M.D.
Leigh Ann Solomon, M.D.
Shelly Seward, M.D.
Head & Neck
Adam Folbe, M.D.
John Jacobs, M.D.
Ho-Sheng Lin, M.D.
George Yoo , M.D.
Miguel Avelo-Rivera, M.D.
Frank Baciewicz, Jr., M.D.
Mohammad A. Jahania, M.D.