Through a variety of support groups, educational programs and therapy services, Karmanos strives to ensure that patients and caregivers have the tools and resources to care for not just their bodies, but their mind, spirit and basic needs, as well.
Support & Education Services
- Support Groups - Support and educational groups provide the opportunity for networking, learning and alleviating feelings of isolation.
- Patient & Community Education - We offer classes on specific treatments and procedures, on-demand videos, special programs, and additional literature.
- Counseling Services - Supportive counseling services promote and enhance the quality of life of our patients, families and friends by focusing on their medical condition, as well as their emotional needs
- Lymphedema Therapy - Karmanos offers support for this chronic condition through check-ups, support groups, therapeutic options and classes.
- Integrative Therapies & Services - These therapies place an emphasis on decreasing stress and anxiety, while improving one’s general sense of well-being.
- Social Work Services - Karmanos' oncology social workers are available to patients and their families throughout all phases of the cancer journey to help adapt to the stresses related to your diagnosis.
- Spiritual Care - We are here to accompany you through your cancer journey by listening with compassion and providing a calming presence
Education at a Glance
Below is an outline of the patient education and community outreach we provided in 2012.
- Public health education programs allowing 37,371 individuals access to information concerning many forms of cancer including:
- General Cancer Information, Breast Cancer, Cervical Cancer, Colorectal Cancer, Lung, Cancer, Men and Cancer Screenings, Prostate Cancer, Skin Cancer, Wellness, Women and Cancer
- Individual one-on-one smoking cessation consults provided to over 674 patients, plus over 500 incoming patients receive smoking cessation information each month.
- Supplied educational cancer materials to 12, 591 individuals through 60 events hosted by community organizations
- 225 Patient Education classes provided to over 500 patients. Classes included:
- Surgical and chemotherapy classes for Breast, gynecological, & gastrointestinal cancers, Catheter Care (Line) classes and PleurX Care.
- Each person that comes to class also brings at least one support person so others from the community are also receiving education in addition.