Supportive counseling services have been developed to promote and enhance the quality of life of our patients and their families by focusing on their medical condition as well as on their emotional needs. In addition to providing direct patient and family care, the service also offers consultation to physicians and other medical staff, suggestions for controlling anxiety, depression and other behavioral issues, and offers referral sources.
Through the counseling service, we have a consulting psychiatrist available to provide that level of counseling if and when necessary. Since this service functions as part of the medical team, periodic progress reports are made available to the entire team.
Mental health nurse practitioners and social workers are available to meet the psychological needs of cancer patients and their families. Some of these services may include:
- Supportive therapy to cancer patients and their families.
- Assistance for cancer patients and their families in adjusting to their diagnosis and medical treatment.
- Counseling for family support, grief, life changes and issues related to losses
- Mental health education on topics including coping, stress reduction and relaxation techniques for patients and their families.
- Crisis intervention for immediate needs or concerns
- Facilitating communication between the cancer patient, his/her family, and the cancer health care team.
- Social worker-provided referrals for community resources, as well as information and referrals for legal concerns (such as advanced directives, power of attorney, and guardianship). Also help for patients and families is available in addressing financial concerns. To contact the social worker, please call 1-800-KARMANOS (1-800-527-6266).
All cancer patients, their family members, and/or concerned friends may utilize these services. Phone consultations are available by calling: 1-800 KARMANOS (1-800-527-6266).
Making an Appointment
To schedule an appointment or referral with the nurse practitioner, please contact us at: 1-800-KARMANOS (1-800-527-6266). Our services are available with or without a physician's referral.