If you’ve been diagnosed with breast cancer
, it’s important to be evaluated by breast cancer experts before beginning treatment. We can help.
Karmanos’ Breast Cancer Specialists
Our Breast Cancer Multidisciplinary Team includes surgical oncologists, medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, radiologists, pathologists, plastic surgeons, pharmacists, specialized nurse practitioners, dietitians, social workers, and genetic counselors. The team is entirely focused on treating breast cancer and shares its collective expertise to create a customized treatment plan for each patient.
Because our accredited radiologists meet rigorous standards, the American College of Radiology has designated us as a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence. Our radiologists are highly trained in reading breast scans—and their input is critical to setting the best course for your treatment.
Do have questions or concerns about breast cancer?
- What are the symptoms and risk factors to be aware of?
- How do you detect or screen for breast cancer?
- What are the treatment options?
Stop searching and ask one of Karmanos' Breast Cancer Specialists. Click here.
Evaluation & Diagnosis
Each patient receives personal attention from the Breast Cancer Multidisciplinary Team. During your initial visit, a physician will review your medical records and medical history, and review your mammograms, x-rays and pathology slides. The breast cancer team meets regularly to discuss patient care issues and refine individual patient treatment plans.
Depending on your case, Karmanos may also perform real-time breast imaging and diagnostic studies. A single breast tumor can be a combination of types or a blend of invasive and in-situ cancer. Whether you have ductal carcinoma, lobular carcinoma, or a less common type like triple-negative breast cancer, our specialized breast cancer radiologists will evaluate your scans and make sure the proper diagnosis is made.
Innovative, Individualized Care
You Karmanos teams employs the latest technology and treatments to ensure your greatest chance at success, including cryotherapy, immunotherapy, minimally invasive surgery and intensity-modulated radiation therapy to minimize radiation exposure of nearby healthy organs including the lungs and heart.
Here’s what patients can expect from our Breast Cancer Multidisciplinary Team:
- A passionate, caring, expert team, giving you the best chance of success.
- A collaborative approach that considers all available treatment options, including clinical trials, for your specific type of breast cancer.
- A carefully constructed treatment plan designed to achieve the best possible outcome.
- Respectful, compassionate care that is responsive to your emotional needs and lifestyle.
- Proactive, timely communication with you and your loved ones, and your personal physician.
Women’s Wellness Clinic
Karmanos not only offers specialists in breast cancer, we have highly-trained nurse practitioners who are focused on overall breast and women’s health and wellness. The Women’s Wellness Clinic at our Alexander J. Walt Comprehensive Breast Center in Detroit and Weisberg Cancer Treatment Center in Farmington Hills offers these services:
- Assessments for new patients with new breast problems (pain, lump, asymmetry, nipple discharge, abnormal imaging, second opinion)
- Rapid referral to appropriate specialist for breast cancer or benign conditions that require intervention
- Well-breast care, including clinical breast exams on the same day as a mammogram and a review of preliminary results
- Assessments for returning patients, continuity of breast care including breast cancer survivorship
- Assessments for elevated risk for breast cancer
- Counseling and monitoring regarding elevated risk for breast cancer
- Recommendations for chemoprevention/increased imaging/increased surveillance
- Treatments to address lymphedema, drug induced menopause and other issues related to cancer therapy.
Meet Our Breast Cancer Multidisciplinary Team
Michael S. Simon, M.D., MPH,
Medical Director, Alexander J. Walt Comprehensive Breast Clinic
David H. Gorski, M.D, Ph.D., Surgical Oncologist
Lawrence E. Flaherty, M.D.
Deepa Jagtap, M.D.
Sayeh Lavasani, M.D.
Patricia LoRusso, D.O.
Muaiad Kittaneh, M.D.
Plastic & Reconstructive Surgeon
Guillermina Nava, M.D.
Sharon Helmer, M.D.
Peter Littrup, M.D.
Julie Shultz, M.D.
Zeynep N. Yilmaz-Saab, M.D.
Neha Amin, M.D.
Keiva Bland, M.D.
Lydia Choi, M.D.
Pamela Johnson, M.D.
Mary Ann Kosir, M.D.
Robert Burack, M.D.
Sudeshna Bandyopadhyay, M.D.
Tamar Alfred Giorgadze, M.D., Ph.D.
Wael Sakr, M.D.
Paul Tranchida, M.D.
Nancy Petrucelli, MS, CGC
Tessa Paling, MS
Women’s Wellness Clinic Nurse Practitioners
Lisa Chism, DNP, APRN, CNMP
Catherine Nichols, NP
Christine Rymal, NP
To schedule an appointment with the Karmanos Breast Oncology Team you can call 1-800-KARMANOS (1-800-527-6266) or request an appointment online.