If you’ve been diagnosed with cancer of the gastrointestinal track, it’s important to be evaluated by cancer experts before beginning treatment. We can help.
Karmanos’ Gastrointestinal & Neuroendocrine Tumors Specialists
Our Gastrointestinal & Neuroendocrine Tumors Multidisciplinary Team includes surgical oncologists, medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, interventional radiologists, pathologists, pharmacists, specialized nurse practitioners, dietitians, social workers, research personnel, and genetic counselors. The team is entirely focused on treating gastrointestinal cancers, as well as clinical research revolving around gastrointestinal malignancies, and shares its collective expertise to create a customized treatment plan for each patient. For example, gastrointestinal cancers commonly spread to the liver that often requires a detailed assessment by the members of the multidisciplinary team using sophisticated imaging techniques, followed by a combination of treatment approaches.
Cancers and diseases treated include:
Evaluation & Diagnosis
Each patient receives personal attention from the Gastrointestinal & Neuroendocrine Tumors Multidisciplinary Team. During your initial visit, a physician will review your medical records and medical history, radiology and pathology studies. The team meets regularly to discuss patient care issues and refine individual patient treatment plans. Patients who benefit most from a consult with our specialists include those:
- Any patient with cancer of the gastrointestinal or neuroendocrine system who specifically requests being seen by Karmanos’ Multidisciplinary Gastrointestinal & Neuroendocrine Tumors Oncology Team to initiate treatment or to secure a second opinion
- Individuals with a personal and/or family history suggestive of hereditary gastrointestinal cancer, which includes any of the following:
- Colorectal cancer before age 50
- 10 or more colon polyps
- Stomach cancer, specifically the diffuse type
- Presence of related cancers including colon cancer, endometrial (uterine) cancer, ovarian cancer, stomach cancer, sebaceous skin tumors, or primary brain tumors
Innovative, Individualized Care
The team uses the latest technologies, including the da Vinci® Si™ Surgical System, minimally invasive surgical procedures and cryotherapy, to achieve optimum success for our patients. Here’s what patients can expect from our Gastrointestinal & Neuroendocrine Tumors Multidisciplinary Team:
- An initial consultation visit with an expert within 3-7 business days
- A passionate, caring, highly focused team, giving you the best chance of success.
- A collaborative approach that considers all available treatment options, including clinical trials, for your specific type of cancer.
- A carefully constructed treatment plan designed to achieve the best possible outcome.
- Respectful, compassionate care that is responsive to your and family’s emotional needs and lifestyle.
- Proactive, timely communication with you and your loved ones, and your personal physician.
Meet Our Gastrointestinal & Neuroendocrine Tumors Multidisciplinary Team
Philip Agop Philip, M.D., Ph.D., FRCP,
Vainutis Vaitkevicius, M.D.
Hemchandra Mahaseth M.D.
Anthony Shields, M.D., Ph.D.
Jordan Maier, M.D.
Hussein Aoun, M.D.
Jeffrey Critchfield, M.D.
Peter Littrup, M.D.
Michael Petrich, M.D.
Garrett Walworth, M.D.
Frank Baciewicz, Jr., M.D.
Steve Kim, M.D.
Donald Weaver, M.D.
Michael S. Simon, M.D., MPH, Director, Genetic Counseling
Vinod B. Shidham, M.D.
To schedule an appointment with the Karmanos Gastrointestinal & Endocrine Tumors Oncology Team, call 1-800-KARMANOS (1-800-527-6266) or request an appointment online.