Karmanos 2012 Patient & Community Education at a Glance
Friday, December 28, 2012
Because cancer is a growing community health concern, the Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute provides valuable information regarding prevention and early detection of cancer to patients, family members and the community as a whole. Below is an outline of the patient education and community outreach we provided in 2012.
- 258 public health education programs allowing 37,371 individuals access to information concerning many forms of cancer including:
- General Cancer Information, Breast Cancer, Cervical Cancer, Colorectal Cancer, Lung, Cancer, Men and Cancer Screenings, Prostate Cancer, Skin Cancer, Wellness, Women and Cancer
- Individual one-on-one smoking cessation consults provided to over 674 patients, plus over 500 incoming patients receive smoking cessation information each month.
- Supplied educational cancer materials to 12, 591 individuals through 60 events hosted by community organizations
- 225 Patient Education classes provided to over 500 patients. Classes included:
- Surgical and chemotherapy classes for Breast, gynecological, & gastrointestinal cancers, Catheter Care (Line) classes and PleurX Care.
Located in mid-town Detroit, Michigan, the Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute is one of 41 National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer centers in the United States. We are a unique, urban-based center of research, patient care and education dedicated to the prevention, early detection, treatment and eventual eradication of cancer.