Make an appointment with a cancer specialist today.
Call us at 800-KARMANOS (800-527-6266)
Home / Ways to Give / Planned Giving / Charitable Remainder Trusts

Charitable Remainder Trusts

A charitable remainder trust (CRT) irrevocably transfers money, securities or other assets to a trust that pays you an income for life or for a period of years.

The trust can also pay an income to another beneficiary of your choice during his or her lifetime, with the remaining balance of the trust transferring to the Institute at the death of the income beneficiary.

CRTs come in several variations. We can help you and your professional advisors decide upon the method that serves you best. The two most common are:

  • Annuity trust — which pays you a fixed dollar amount, and the
  • Standard unitrust — which pays you an amount equal to a fixed percentage of the net fair market value of the trust assets as recalculated yearly.

Unlike other ways of contributing to the Institute, a charitable remainder trust allows you to benefit from donated assets throughout your life while helping to shape our future later. Benefits include:

  • Increasing your income when you give to a trust designed to pay out more than you now earn on the assets you will contribute;
  • Receiving a money-saving federal income tax charitable deduction;
  • Avoiding capital gains tax when you transfer nonmortgaged appreciated assets to the trust;
  • Freeing yourself from investment worries by securing professional management of the assets you donate;
  • Gaining the enduring satisfaction of having made a major commitment to our important work.

For more information 

Including information on designing a plan that meets your immediate and the Institute’s long-term goals, please contact: 

Contact Lynn Fisher, Senior Director, Major Gift Programs at 313.576.8119,

© 2014 Karmanos Cancer Institute Pencil
The Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Center is accredited by The Joint Commission.
If members of the public have any quality-of-care or safety concerns, they may notify The Joint Commission at 630-792-5800.